Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, November 12, 2009

From Mechelle's blog: On the dotted line

Ah, the first day of the fall signing period …

Look, there’s nothing wrong at all with getting excited about the potential newcomers to your program if you’re a fan. But I have to admit I’ve never been that jazzed about signing day … I guess because I’m not a fan. But also because it’s all speculation.

Not that it isn’t based on something substantive. Recruiting web sites evaluate players and talk to coaches. But how they really make a decision between, say, who’s 17 and who’s 22 … I don’t know. You can be pretty sure if a lot of big schools are after somebody, she’s probably quite good. They don’t usually miss.

But it seems to me that sometimes people get worked up about recruits the way they do about a new gadget. It’s exciting because it’s new and holds all this promise … but then they figure out it takes some work to get it running.