Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, November 12, 2009

From Selena Roberts at SI.com: Burning To Play Again - What seems obvious now -- missing Lizzie was a case of homesickness -- was at first mistaken for basketball overload. Otherwise Elena would be loony for leaving UConn.
Don't spy from the tunnel or peek from the mezzanine. Sure, she could stay and watch a scene tantamount to Streep doing community theater, but Delaware coach Tina Martin resisted. Around nine o'clock on a night last January, long after the unranked Blue Hens had sweated out another basketball practice, Martin walked across a darkened gym and flicked the lights on for a freshman education major, Elena Delle Donne -- once the most celebrated player in high school hoops, the 6' 5" It Girl of Connecticut's 2008 recruiting class. "I left her alone," recalls Martin. "I went home. As much as I was thinking that I hope she is enjoying herself, I didn't think she needed me hiding in the background. She was sorting through so many emotions."