Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, March 29, 2010

Even by UConn standards, the Huskies' victory over Iowa State was impressive. The Huskies look especially impossible to beat when everybody's outside shots are falling, and yesterday they certainly fell: Maya Moore and Kelly Faris (Kelly Faris!) combined to go 9-11 from three-point-land, the Cyclones (the whole team) 6-25.

"Connecticut are certainly as good as advertised," said coach Fennelly afterwards. "I don't think I've had a whipping like that since I was a little kid and I broke something of my mom's."

Nothing against coach Fennelly's mom, but the one-sided-ness of this result-- combined with the Nebraska loss-- suggests that at least some fine Big XII teams have trouble playing at speed. Iowa State doesn't seem to have scheduled any elite running teams on their non-conference slate: will ISU line a couple of them up next year?

Somehow I missed this headline two weeks ago: anyone up for two-on-two hoops involving the President of the United States, Massachusetts Republican Scott Brown, and Maya Moore?