Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, June 18, 2010

All right, everybody, start drinking your support: BACARDIĀ® Gold Rum and the WNBA Schedule Announcement of the First Recipients of the Gold Standard Scholarship Program
BACARDIĀ® Gold Rum and the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA), in partnership with The Thurgood Marshall College Fund and the Hispanic Scholarship Fund, announced today that they will award the first Gold Standard Scholarships in the amount of $15,000 each to two female students (21+) at the league's fifth annual WNBA Inspiring Women Luncheon on July 14.
And, what I mean about "support," I'm suggesting that when you spend your money you speak your allegiance out loud.

For instance, I was looking at homeowners insurance (Shut up. I am NOT growing up.) and I made a decision to contact State Farm BECAUSE of their support of the Wade Trophy and All Americans. And, when I spoke to an agent, I explained that was the reason I called them first. Of course, it didn't mean I went with them, but they did get a "touch," as they call it in the biz...

I say this because during the WBHOF induction ceremony I got a chance to speak with Jack North, ex- of State Farm and one of the key players in getting State Farm to bring women's basketball into their "support stable." When I asked him "why women's sports/basketball" he talked about his mentor at State Farm being key. (Which reminded me of Hunter Low and Kodak) That, and his daughters.

But it's not "just 'cause it's a cause." North's belief is that investment in women's brings a lot more benefit than that that is measured by Neilsen ratings.

So, think about what you can do to can make yourself measurable...