Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, June 28, 2010

It's Monday, which means no games, but does meant the next installment from Richard Cohen at SportsPageMagazine: This Week in the WNBA: Week Six - All Star Special

First things first: the ground rules. These are my picks for who I think ought to be there, not who I think the fans and then the coaches and Team USA will select. The picks are based on this season's WNBA play and production, not established positions or performance in prior competitions. I'm assuming there'll be 11 players on each roster, like a typical WNBA All-Star Game, even though Team USA is allowed 12 in any standard international contest. For the purposes of these picks, I'm also assuming that Maya Moore won't be playing, despite being part of the Team USA pool. Oh, and I'm taking some liberties with positions, because there weren't any restrictions on the ballot this year, so I can do what I like. Lauren Jackson won't be playing any point guard in my theoretical lineups, but if the team works better with her at power forward rather than center, she'll move.

That's about it, so on to the picks. Up first, the Stars and Stripes.